Finding purpose in life is about knowing who you are!
Purpose meaning: “the reason for which something is done or created or for which something exists. a person’s sense of resolve or determination.”
By knowing who we are, we become aware of our strengths, our challenges, our dreams. We become aware of what makes us tick and where we get our energy from but knowing who we also take time. It takes introspection, reflexion and sometimes a great deal of effort.
We think we know ourselves but we so very often lack self-confidence. We are afraid of making mistakes and in a sense, we are sometimes our own worst enemy. When last did you ask yourself why you are doing what you are doing?
We make daily certain sacrifice and sometimes we even lie awake in the evenings trying to justify these sacrifices. The moment we become aware of the reasons why we are doing what we are doing, the sacrifices make more sense or maybe you realize it does not make sense at all. It is more than just asking the question: what is in it for me? It is about asking yourself – What are my REASONS for doing this? What is your WHY? Within these answers lie the value of having a purposeful life. We all have different reasons for doing what we are doing and once we discover our own truth – we grow. We develop through our failures and through our fortunes and then we find our purpose.
According to Timothy A. Kelly is the good news that everyone has a purpose. The even better news is that it doesn’t have to take very long to learn what it is! You don’t need to go searching for your purpose; it is already inside you. It has been guiding you your whole life, whether you are aware of it or not. (e-book by Timothy A. Kelly 2004). If we do in life the things that support our purpose – our soul gives us positive feedback. Timothy also states in his e-book that if we align what we do with our purpose we find obstacles easier and we are energetic. When we live a purposeful life, it feels very different.
Take time to ask yourself these questions:
- Be careful of focusing on the negative rather ask yourself: What can I change?
- What is your long-term view: Looking back at your life when were the times when you felt that you are living “in purpose”? One day if you look back at your life – what will you remember about your life? What is the legacy you want to leave?
- Become aware of your reasons. Why in the first place did I make this decision or take up this challenge? Write down your reasons, it helps to understand the sacrifice.
- Always believe in yourself. Ask yourself: What will be my contribution?
- Develop yourself: How can I learn more?
- Visualise and see what you want: What does the perfect outcome look like for me?
- Come up with a dream but be sure to leave with a plan. What is the next one, two or three steps I need to take?
- What is your WHY?
Finding your Purpose, will not only make you happy, it will add value to the world around you. It will help you preserve and finish what you start. It is a necessary ingredient in leaving a legacy and building a heritage in your community.